Monday, February 22, 2010

Mark 2

Mark 2:

As I begin to read this chapter, I'm reminded of an old TV show, Dragnet, and its main Character "Joe Friday", who was famous for saying, "Just the facts, ma'am... just the facts!". I see Mark as "Joe Friday". His approach to writing this Gospel was "just the facts". Remember, he was not concerned with the genealogy or chronology. He wanted to make sure that he put as much information into his writings about what Jesus had done as he could. And so he jumps right in. In this first chapter, we see a theme of "challenging". Everything that Mark depicts here is in direct conflict with the Pharisees. It was important for Mark to start this way, because he needed to establish Jesus' authority. Remember, he was speaking to a Roman audience, challenging the fact that Caesar was King.

What stood out to me, as it always does, is the story of the paralytic. Can you imagine for one second being crammed into a house, barely enough room to stand. All of a sudden, as Jesus is teaching, you begin to hear some tearing, perhaps sawing. And then all of a sudden, a huge hole in the roof of the house that you're standing in appears. And through it, a man is lowered down into the middle of the room who is a paralytic.

His friends had heard about Jesus. They believed, even before meeting Him, that Jesus could heal their friend. But in typical Jesus fashion, He did something that no one expected. He didn't heal the man... at least right away. He, instead, says, "Your sins are forgiven". And He did that for a reason. Why? To challenge those who didn't see Him as God in the flesh. He knew that they would begin to mumble about themselves. To say, "your sins are forgiven" was blasphemy to the scribes and Pharisees. Only God can forgive sins.... right? We all agree on that. But that was just the opener. Jesus knew they would think like this, and so He continues. In order to prove to them that He was the Son of Man, he then tells the paralytic to take up his mat and leave. Though forgiveness of his sins was what the man actually needed.... Jesus took that next step and healed the man, so that those who were in attendance could witness His authority, not just hear it.

Jesus was always about taking that extra step. What I pull from this is.... how often do we just do what's necessary and not follow up and take that next step? I think we do it more often then not. We need to be about following through and taking as many steps as necessary to finish the work. Jesus always did. And we're to follow His example.

-robbie

9 comments:

  1. I was moved by vs. 13-17. When Jesus passes by Levi and invites him to "Follow me" all the bible says is, "...he rose and followed him." Not, "...he thought about it for a while, pondered it, worried about it, weighed the options and then followed him." I don't know what went through Levi's head when He heard Jesus say Follow Me. But, I have to imagine that He was so compelled in his spirit and knew that he knew that he knew that it was Jesus, he couldn't help but go. I know that pounding feeling in my chest when I feel God urging me to move. I wonder if he felt the same. I hope I can be that courageous. I tend to think things through (sometimes too much) before I act and I don't want to miss opportunities because of my own fear or insecurity. When it's God moving, I want to be ready and willing.

    I also love the part where the tax collecters and sinners (hello! that's everyone) where eating with Jesus. They must have been on cloud nine and felt such freedom being able to commune with God like that. Talk about a weight that must have been lifted. They were probably hated people by the Pharisees and Jesus treated them as friends. He's so GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6Now some of the scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts, 7"Why does this man speak like that?(F) He is blaspheming!(G) Who can forgive sins but God alone?" 8And immediately Jesus,(H) perceiving in his spirit that they thus questioned within themselves, said...
    Whoa. He read their minds. How scary is that?!
    Guess what? He still does. Every thought we've ever had, He knows. Our thoughts don't even have to have words, but He understands them.
    It completely goes along with Erik's message yesterday about who we are behind closed doors and who we are when no one sees.
    It really makes you THINK...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. 22And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins—and the wine is destroyed, and so are the skins. But new wine is for fresh wineskins."

    This, I think, is one of the foundational statements Christ makes about the human condition. To the point, God has to make us new creatures through the Holy Spirit in order to give us full truth and wisdom. None can know God till they put their trust in Christ. In doing so, we are made into what we should have been all along.

    How can God give wisdom to those who don't earnestly seek Him? How many modern day Pharisees will never allow themselves to be made into a new wineskin so truth and wisdom can flow freely into them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking that extra step.....my life has been plagued in the past with procrastination, the "I will get to it later" attitude. The problem is later turns into never. I am still guilty of this today in some areas of my life. It's good to be reminded though that there is an example to follow in Jesus' teachings. Amy well said above! It does go along with Sunday's sermon because we tend to always want to take that extra step when people are looking but what about when people aren't? Are we doing all we can for the glory of God?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jesus again comes back strong over the commits made about The Sabbath. I believe in that day Jewish traditions were tough and even traditions of today build walls. Jesus made it clear in verse 28 that he had authority over how the day was kept.
    We do at times get tired and need rest but I don't think God expects us to loaf around on this day. It could become a day of hard work if we remember why we are here and prepare for the Kingdom. Let's take it seriously! Many out there need our hard work everyday, and that can lead to salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff guys. Miles, great insight. I've never thought of those verses in that way. Thanks for the thought! Very true!

    Keep it up peeps!

    -robbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesus looked for teachable moments, and clearly set one up in v5. He saw their faith and was going to heal the man, but knowing who was around, didn't jsut cut to the chase, but rather set up the question of His authority because he knew who was in the room. By doing this, He established along with the miracle, his true God given authority. If He had not done this, many of these people would have simply marvelled at the "magic" (i.e. miracles) but not recognized Him as more than someone who was gifted. He had to establish that He was God in the flesh, so people would more clearly understand just WHO they were following.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 11"I say to you, rise, pick up your bed, and go home." 12And he rose and immediately picked up his bed and went out before them all, so that they were all amazed and(J) glorified God, saying, "We never saw anything like this!"

    I wonder how many of us would without hesitation react like this. I know I probably wouldnt have. I would have been the one to say "I can't" "its too hard" "Ive been sick too long" Even as strong as I think my faith is, I still would question my ability. Not just where sickness would be concerned but in all areas of my life. To lay down my fear and know that I know would be such sweet freedom. To follow because I didnt have to know where I was going, just because I trusted the leader unconditionally. How wonderful to just surrender to an authority that doesnt want me to feel weaker, but just the opposite..surrender to someone that wants me to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when Jesus teaches the Pharisees something that contradicts their man made ways of life. Just like in v27. The Sabbath was made for man not the man for the Sabbath. It seems there were so many man-made laws and ways of life that were taken completely out of context and practiced in a wrongful and misunderstood ways.

    ReplyDelete