Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mark 6

Mark 6


Hey guys, it’s Philip this week. Wow, life is busy, but if you are like me, this blog certainly holds me accountable to being in the word more consistently. I am so proud to be a part of this team!
We have a really long chapter this week, and some great stories: Jesus walking on the water, feeding of the 5,000, Jesus healing the sick with only the touch of his garment, AMAZING POWER! With all these powerful stories, I was struck by some of the language yet again, and specifically in what I want to point out, vs. 7-13, when Jesus sends out His disciples.
Up to this point, Jesus called these men and had them travelling with Him, but it was clearly the right time, they had seen enough and heard his teachings enough to be sent out on their own. I noticed He sent them out in pairs, for strength and support, and I would argue in parallel with our lesson this week, for fellowship. Knowing the hearts of these men, and seeing them even in this chapter become frightened of situations, Jesus was intentional about setting them up to work together. He also sent them with nothing except a staff. This was to push them to place all of their trust and faith in God’s ability to sustain their earthly needs such as food, water, etc. It seems a bit extreme, but what about this mission wasn’t extreme? Remember, though Jesus was becoming increasingly famous, there was certain danger everywhere they went as this teaching was challenging the norm.
The last point that struck me, was a burden I have carried at times, and that is that if they were to proclaim the gospel and it fall on deaf ears, to “shake off the dust” and move on. We carry the burden of sharing the gospel with others, and I know that each of us do this differently and more than just on Sunday’s, as I have witnessed this in many of you. But I know at times if I share my faith, and someone rejects it, I struggle with what I may have done wrong. To me, Jesus is encouraging his closest to teach, work, share, love, heal, admonish, and live the gospel, and if the “ground is hard”, there are many more who need to hear. Ultimately I draw back to this parable of the sower, and the fact that Jesus wants us to spread the gospel seed, and sometimes it will not take, but that seed remains and may someday take hold.
Are we ready to be sent the way Jesus sent his disciples?

5 comments:

  1. "Where did this man get these things? What is the wisdom given to him? How are such mighty works done by his hands? 3(E) Is not this(F) the carpenter, the son of Mary and(G) brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us?" And(H) they took offense at him..."
    I am so guilty of this myself. Judging on the outside appearance. I'm SURE that I would not have been impressed with the sight of Jesus. He wasn't extraordinary except in what He did and said. This passage really spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire the boldness of John the Baptist for speaking out over the unrighteous acts of Herod and Herodias. Herod had a fear of John knowing he was a just and holy man. Yet at Herod's birthday party the dancing and alcohol seemed to do it's job. Herod got himself in a situation that haunted him and cost John his life.
    There is much to learn from this. Foolish decisions speak to us today and you can bet the evil one is behind them. I believe at times we loose sight and don't see the temptation. Myself included we must stay in the word and pray for strength. Remembering the consequences sin brings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vs. 7-13 struck me the most because Christ really pushed the disciples to trust Him and rely on the faith they had in Him to be what they needed when they were away from Him. They were literally leaving on their travel with nothing but a staff. And, on top of that, they weren't going to have Jesus standing right with them while they preached, healed, and cast out demons. It must have been scary for them, but also really empowering when they realized how God provided them on their journeys with food to eat, places to stay and people to reach. I think that must have had to deepen their faith even more.

    It's an encouragement to me to know that when I'm in unfamiliar territory and my "safety net" isn't there anymore, God is still going to provide and open more doors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 39Then he commanded them all to sit down in groups on the green grass. 40So they sat down in groups, by hundreds and by fifties. 41And taking the five loaves and the two fish he(AW) looked up to heaven and(AX) said a blessing and broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples to set before the people. And he divided the two fish among them all. 42And they all ate and were satisfied. 43And they took up twelve baskets full of broken pieces and of the fish. 44And those who ate the loaves were five thousand men.

    This speaks to me about trusting that God will always provide. I remember the Sunday that Erik spoke on whether we thought we were rich or not and how compared to other countries we were all very rich and that while we may not always have everything we want God makes sure that we have what we need IF we have the faith to trust him with everything we DO possess. These men took what they had to Jesus and they trusted and all were fed and satisfied. No one complained that they didnt like bread and fish, they were blessed to have it and even had abundance. Im guilty of getting caught up in what I dont have sometimes, and while I have never worried about food for my table I hope that if I ever have to I will have the kind of faith these men did that God will not only provide but that I will have abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5And(J) he could do no mighty work there, except that(K) he laid his hands on a few sick people and healed them. 6And(L) he marveled because of their unbelief.

    Here Jesus faces all of these non-believers, but still heals sick people by laying hands on them. I think this should remind us all of what a true testimony it is that the love of Jesus is not circumstantial. I know in today's society people often have a slighted version of "give and you shall receive". Often times you hear people talking about the fact that they are not going to make any more effort than is necessary because they are not getting anything in return. Where would we be if God had that view when Adam and Eve sinned against his commands? Where would we be if God said, "Nevermind. I'm not going to try to make this right, they disobeyed me, and that's it. I'm not getting anything in return for their sin, so I'm giving up- I tried and that's all I can do." Doesn't paint a very nice picture!

    ReplyDelete