Monday, June 7, 2010

Mark 13

Mark 13

I love this chapter! This is one of the only times that Jesus actually talks plainly, and openly about all that must pass. Typically, when the Disciples ask Jesus about something, or to explain something, He will answer with a question, or He'll explain it, after He's given them some parable to consider. But here, they ask Him a pointed question, and He plainly answers them. And make no mistake, this is a warning, not only to them, but to all who read or hear of these words.

We may not see it happen, but you can guarantee that it will. And Jesus says, himself, that no one, not even He, knows the hour. ONLY the Father in Heaven. This should cut us to the core. It should be the very reason that we take seriously our walk with Christ, and our knowledge of Him. (Theology). For even Jesus says, there will be those coming in His name, or proclaiming to be Him. But do not be led astray... And He says that those false prophets, or Anitichrists, will indeed try to manipulate, confuse, or even destroy the Elect (those who are the adopted sons and daughters of Christ- see Ephesians 2:1-10)

How, then, will we know who these prophets are, if we are but babes in our faith? The writer of Hebrews says that we shouldn't remain as infants, once we've encountered the saving faith of Jesus. We are to mature in our faith. He even calls out the men in this piece of scripture saying, you are like babies, still drinking milk, when you should be eating meat! (paraphrasing, of course, but that's what he says)

I want to challenge you all to take your faith seriously. It was given to you by God, it is not of your own doing, just as the Ephesians scripture, listed above, points out. This is so you can't boast or brag that you had anything to do with it, but it's also so that you understand who the perfecter of your faith is, and that you don't take it lightly. It is a gift from God, and we should hold it dearly, and cherish and nourish it, just as we would our own children. We need to be going deeper in the scriptures, reading more about theology, understanding what it is that we believe in. It IS NOT enough to say, "I believe in Jesus". For even Jesus says that He will say, "And then will I declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me,D)"> you workers of lawlessness."- Matthew 7:23


6 comments:

  1. And what I say to you I say to all:(BZ) Stay awake."

    I love this part of the verse because I think you could substitute the words "stay awake" for so many things today to keep you on track in your walk. To stay awake could mean to keep praying daily, keep attending prayer groups, keep serving in church, keep up whatever it was that brought you to the Lord to begin with. The enemy is just sitting and waiting looking for any sign of weakness in us that he can pounce on. If we as Christians "stay awake" there should be no cracks in our armor for him to pick away at. Those words are the best advice I could give anyone that were to ask me how to keep their relationship with God strong. Jesus also uses this as a warning so that we dont take forgranted that we have time to make our hearts right with the Lord. No one knows the hour or the day...we better be ready now and stay awake so that we stay ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I would love to hear pastor Erik do a series on living in the last days. I'm sure he will in time. Could this have started over 2000 years ago? Like the scripture reads, only the Father knows.
    I believe its possible we are in the last days and I sometimes wonder how much longer God will be patient. Just look at the greed, pride, lust, disobeience, lovers of self, etc. etc. in the world today. The more man wants it his way the more the world gets screwed up. Just observe and take notes.
    Its so beautiful that we have a choice until he does return. As believers we must live as if we are in the very last days. We must be God's Kingdom on earth and reach out to all. All must know the true Christ, leave no one behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where I have been challenged recently from both this team and from the book "Worship Matters" is that we are all theologeons. I have always considered that to be an "academic" thing, but it isn't. If you study, read, hear, receive the Word of God, then you are a theologian. The question is, are you just simply taking what others say as your basis for theology, or are you searching on your own, and allowing others to share their insights as well. If the former, then we leave the door open to become "led astray" (v6). If you consider yourself the latter, you are where I am striving to be. I challenge each of us to take on consistent study of the word, beyond this study, to continue our education of the one we serve! It may not always be exciting passages, it may not always be life-changing revelations, but it will draw us closer to Him, and keep us closer to the truth so we will not fall prey to the devil's schemes of leading us off our path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The final phrase in the chapter "Stay awake" really struck me too, Shelly. It's simple and plain. Shawn taught at Hartsville yesterday and one thing he said in his sermon I believe is pertinent here. He said (paraphrasing) that Satan will do whatever he can to keep your focus off Jesus. It doesn't even have to be something that we consider a "big sin." It can be dwelling on something that's making you sad or worried and not praying about it because it just seems impossible. When Satan finds that one little thing that will take your eyes off Jesus, he hones in on you and continues to work to keep you in that place. That speaks volumes to me and reinforces that we have to Stay Awake to Satan's schemes and also be diligent in our faith. I pray for a fervor to engage in the scriptures and theology the same way I can fly through a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The part that depicts the coming of the son of God, ties in with "Staying Awake" to me. Imagine if every time we made a decision, either to lead towards sin or away from it, that Jesus descended from the heavens, stars falling behind him and he was ready to call for his "chosen ones", would you still make the same decision? The more scripture I read, the more protected and assured I feel that I am making decisions that I would make if Jesus is standing in front of me. And the more I start to feel that He IS standing in front of me. I aim to "Stay Awake" and know that he is constantly there, and be completely aware when I make decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This was a really cool chapter. I think that if I were in desprate end times and someone said "Look its Jesus" and the guy was doing spectacular things I would want to believe. I guess that is were the whole Holy Spirit Direction comes in.

    I also found it so interesting that he spoke about the seasons. It seems very literal, as though the worst of it would be in winter and Jesus would come shortly after the change of seasons.

    ReplyDelete