Monday, October 5, 2009

Romans 2

So, Paul begins to lay the foundation to his argument for Jesus, in chapter 2 of Romans. Paul was very meticulous in how he approached the Jewish nation. He, himself, was a Pharisee. He knew the "law" as well as any of them. He persecuted the Christians, even unto death. So he knew the arguments that he would come against in proclaiming that Jesus was the messiah. So, as we begin this chapter, we see Paul starting from the beginning with them. He talks about how they believe that they can be saved through Moses' law. And, up until the life of Jesus, that IS how they were to be saved: through sacrifice and atonement.

What I get from this chapter (because obviously, he is talking to the Jew, not the gentile) is a lesson on how to effectively preach the gospel. Paul was VERY aware of his surroundings in every situation that he went into. Like I said, he was very smart. But street smarts is what I'm talking about. Not book smarts. Yes, Paul needed to have his education of the Jewish law in order to be effective with the Jews but it was his tactics that I'm referring to. We are told, that because we have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us, that we are more than equipped to share the Gospel. What I think we need to work on, is our tactics! We can't just beat people up with it. We need to understand who it is we are sharing with, and then understand how we are to approach it with them. We'll see in later chapters and all throughout scripture that the answer to that is "relationship". So for me, it all goes back to when Peter said, "Be prepared to give an account for the things you believe". I think we need to be aware of our surroundings and understand who it is we are talking to. And just FYI, the account that you are to give.... should be the testimony of your life transformation!

Love y'all

Robbie

8 comments:

  1. I have a hard time sharing my faith with others. Not in that I'm a Christian, but in sharing the story of Jesus. However, if I'm close or in "relationship" with someone, it is much easier. Jesus hung out with sinners--so should we. How else can the world find out about Him? We need to get out of our little boxes and jump into relationship with people who don't know Him. You can't share something if you don't give it away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part of this chapter that stuck out the most to me, was regarding those who didn’t have the law but followed it instinctively because it was written on their hearts. It just speaks of how real our relationship with God should be. We shouldn’t have to go look something up in the bible to know if it is wrong or right… not that God doesn’t use the bible. We should know God’s character so well that we know what he would and wouldn’t approve of. If we are praying often we can simply ask God if something is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romans 2:11- For God does not show favoritism.

    Wow- I think Erik could preach a whole sermon around this. This says to me that it doesn't matter that we lived right by God for a week, or even a year, it has to be a consistent life-long act, and we need to continually try to help keep others on the right path, as well. It's not the act of being Baptized, and accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior that is the ultimate sacrifice, it's the act of carrying out that plan for your entire life. "Out with the old, the new is born"- Not- Out with the old, and when life brings you down you can knowingly return to the old, and not be punished for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a side thought that someone at my work told me. Baptized means submerged.

    I think that though we submerge ourselves symbolically in water when we are Baptized it may have more meaning to our life like Molly says. We should be submerged in our relationship with God in order to be effective and go to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whole chapter speaks to me about example. All the things that we teach whether it be to our children or to others, are we practicing them? Are we leading by example? Are we always conducting ourselves as if Jesus was right beside us? Its great to be able to quote scripture and the commandments but if we dont live by them and raise our children to live by them they are just meaningless words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Computer been down little over a week so I'm behind. Very interesting scripture yet true. I read everyone's commits and they all have a message. Shelly Baker's spoke directly to me. In other words, "when I speak the word do I live the word". Am I a living example. The last line in the reading, a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not people. The word in some way always hits home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people.

    This spoke the loudest to me. It's such a battle to not try to impress, please and compare ourselves to others. Everyday we're bombarded with something to measure ourselves against. Do we meet the criteria or do we fail at what culture says we should be? How awesome does everyone think I am? Did my efforts earn me enough praise to give me self-worth?

    For me living a life for Christ means seeking His approval first. When we lead worship are we seeking HIS approval first or are we hoping for praise from our friends and colleagues? This is something I think we all must keep in check. God has humbled me with this scripture because His praise is all I need to be concerned about. I am committing this scripture to memory to remind me of whose praise is the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miranda, i love your 2nd paragraph here and it does raise a question for me. I think that we inherently seek the approvals of others and we actually love it when we see that we've gotten that approval. it gives us a good feeling and a sense of accomplishment a lot of the time. I love it when i do something to please my wife and i see the smile on her face.

    When we seek Christs approval and that physical confirmation is not met because we feel we are unheard or that God is not listening, how do we enourage each other to see past that and continue to seek that approval even if we dont get that physical affirmation we seek?

    ReplyDelete