Monday, November 16, 2009

Romans 7

Romans 7

We've discussed before, that Paul was very smart. And if you don't pay attention to this chapter closely, you can get confused easily. I've read it several times, and each time, I get something new from it. But in a nutshell, Paul begins to reveal the sinful nature of man. He doesn't try to convince everyone that the "law" is bad. No, rather, it is good and holy, because it is of God. He doesn't dispute that. But what he is trying to point out here is: no one, because of their sinful nature (brought about by Adam and Eve) is able to obey the law. It would take a perfect life, a completely sinless life, to obey God's law. And since God is the only perfect being in the universe, we cannot live up to the law. No matter how hard we try, we fail. And Paul is trying to stress this point. He will, for the rest of the book of Romans, try to beat this into our heads. He does this, because, he needs the people he's ministering to (that would be the people he's talking to, as well as us) to understand that while the law is good, our sinful nature prevents us from obeying it. Hence the need for a savior. Remember, these people didn't deny, nor should we, that they could not atone for their sins without a sacrifice. They understood that they could not live up to the law. No matter how hard they tried, they still led a life of sin.

So, we too, must understand that we cannot atone for our sin. We can live the best life we think is possible and we still can't pay the debt. But if we understand that when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, our Sacrifice, then we die to the condemnation of the law. And its only His grace that pays the debt for us. Therefore, we SHOULD try to live a live worthy of that sacrifice. But we must also understand that we will not ever master sin. We will only be vindicated of it, through Jesus. And I believe, as Erik said yesterday, that we will be judged, not for the good or bad that we've done, but what we've done with Jesus.

Love y'all

7 comments:

  1. Erik talked about this during his sermon on Sunday as well. If we think that just living a good life and doing nice deeds is enough then we might be mistaken when the day comes to account for our existance. We can never repay God for the sins we have committed against Him. The only way we are saved is through a relationship with Christ and submitting ourselves to a life where we are always seeking Him first. That's kind of hard to swallow because it takes a LOT of humility to subject yourself to that.

    On the same note though, what a relief it is to knowk that I am saved from my sin as long as I can confess, repent and turn away from my sin and turn towards Christ. It doesnt mean I have to be perfect in everything I do. I am going to make mistakes and sin. I'm human, it's what I do. That doesn't mean I am condemned because I serve a God that is loving and forgiving and knows my heart and knows how much I adore Him. He knows how his grace has impacted my life and how undeserving I am of it. That's enough to overwhelm me at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got very excited Sunday at Rutland when pastor Erik was talking about heaven. Just thinking about being there is beyond comprehension. If I love the thought so much of a place I want to get to someday you would think I would also consider my journey. As the scripture implies the trouble is with me, I'm too human. I have too accept the fact nothing good is in me no matter what I do and I will never see heaven without Jesus.
    Understanding this truth is whats so cool! Do the best I can, believe in what Jesus has already done and love him with all my heart. He's got everything else covered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... I just have to point out something. Robbie said we cannot master sin and that is why Jesus came. I want to clarify that the bible actual says in Genesis 4:7 that sin is crouching Cain's door and that he must master it. So it is possible to master sin. (Sorry to look at details... I totally agree with the heart of what your saying Robbie.)

    I don't know if that is speaking more of habitual sin but from the context it seems to be sin in general. I am so greatful that Jesus came, because although this is what is asked of us... I only Jesus is without sin. I guess we must ask the Lord to make us righteous and try our best to be sinless. Hmmm... the law and the freedom from law. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to look at this from a slightly different perspective, we'll see if it it works. I look at my son, my creation if you will, and he doesn't know everything that is right and wrong, so I lay out the law for him. This is to help him know what is good and bad to do (just as God's law was for us). Many times, even though he knows something is wrong, it is still in his nature to do it. Lately at school, Easton has been talking when he wasn't supposed to and he has gotten in trouble. He just can't seem to fight the urge to speak up, even though he knows better. This brings consequesces both at school and at home, and makes both of us sad. I wonder how disappointed God must feel when I do the sinful things I do.

    Ultimately, as God did, I am willing to forgive him of everything he does and love him anyway. God needed an atonement, and that came in the form of his son, the only one worthy of fulfilling that role.

    Though Easton continues to learn right from wrong, and make mistakes (as I do daily), I as his father am willing to love him, find ways to teach him, and ultimately forgive him of anything as long as he shows me that he wants that forgiveness.

    I hope this analogy helps, it sure helps me better understand God's grace for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Jess! You're right! LOL. I guess what I meant to say is... we may be able to master sin, and through Jesus, keep away from it and not fall into its temptations. BUT, we are born into sin. It is a part of our lives that we cannot eliminate. Even if we don't submit to it, it is there, just as you pointed out, "crouching" at our door. So, that's what I meant to say. But, like I normally do (cause I'm a bonehead! LOL) it came out as something different! So, I hope that clarifies my point.

    This is why I love this blog. It allows us to engage in conversations about things and to really pick apart the scriptures and what they say. Love y'all

    ReplyDelete
  6. 22 I love God’s law with all my heart. 23 But there is another power[e] within me that is at war with my mind.
    War within my mind...hmmm almost daily. How much sin is too much?? I know I cant live a sinless life, but how far over a line is too far. I heard a pastor speak one time about speeding and how everyone does it, but it is ultimately breaking the law. We think its relatively innocent..what's five or ten over? But if we get caught, we get a ticket. We know the law and yet we break it. The same I think could be said of your Christian walk. We know God's law, but what if we just skim over the boundary..is small sin as bad as huge sin? My mind is stronger than my heart sometimes and its hard to always give yourself a little spirit check about things that really seem harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an awesome passage! I know for me, whenever there is a rule, I automatically think, "In what ways can I barely get by following this rule?" It's total, and complete human ugliness showing in me! But as I daily give myself to Christ, I begin to long to follow these rules (for the most part! :) ) so others can see Christ in me. God fills me and pushes me out of myself; it's such an amazing feeling! I just encourage everyone to daily allow God to fill you up, I know we all have "fires" we're going through, but if we allow him to, God WILL consume us. He will drive away the desire to "break" the rules and cause us to daily follow them. Sound hard? God never said life was easy, just another way to find our weaknesses and glorify God through them!

    ReplyDelete